5 Reasons You Should Talk To Yourself
Just by reading the title you’re probably already thinking to yourself crazy alert! But that was the whole point. You were thinking to yourself. What is really the difference between thinking to yourself and talking to yourself? The biggest difference is that one is thought to be completely normal while the other is thought to be for the crazies like myself. I’m here to discuss five scientific reasons why you should talk to yourself out loud.
- Calm Down – Yes you read that correctly, I told you to calm down. When we’re angry we tend to do and say things that we would normally keep to ourselves. It is easy to make big mistakes while we’re upset. Why not take a breather and talk yourself out of the big mistake? Talking out loud will allow you to voice your perspective and analyze what it is that has you so hot and bothered. Additionally, it gives you time to cool down and act when you are in a more balanced state.
- Inner Debate – To expand on the last point, talking out loud will allow one to have an inner debate with themselves. This process of blessing your ears with your own thoughts allows one to debate both the pros and cons of a situation. Allowing you to see both sides of the story. Often in most cases a problem is simply two different sides of the same coin. With an audible approach to thinking you can gain much needed clarity and come up with solutions that you wouldn’t normally come up with.
- Self-Motivation – This one is a BIG reason to get up and start having a conversation with yourself. Studies show that those who voice their thoughts for motivation purposes have an increased success rate in achieving those goals, additionally they feel happier and more accomplished when doing so. Who will be your biggest cheerleader if not you? Besides who else can you rely on to tell you exactly what you need to hear if not yourself?
- Practice Makes Perfect – Do you have a big date coming up? Or maybe you have a huge performance and are getting the jitters? Perhaps there is a difficult conversation that you want to have with a friend, family, or spouse. Well the solution is to practice what you want to say beforehand. But the key as you probably guessed it is to say these things out loud. This allows you to be prepared for when that big moment comes up. There is no way around it, practice makes perfect and a monologue is the best way to achieve said perfection.
- Subdue Your Subconscious – Another big reason to join in on a monologue is that you can release your subconscious from its shackles. Suppressed emotions and thoughts are unhealthy and can cause various health issues such as anxiety and stress. By having conversations with the self, you bring these things to the light so you can deal with them. Unfortunately, keeping things bottled up isn’t the best solution. This solo time is the perfect time to deal with your darkest demons, the ones that you can’t share with anyone else. If you’re unable trust yourself with these things then who can you trust?
It is time to start taking care of your mental health which is something that very few people know how to do. This can be the first step in the journey that is your mental health, please do not take it lightly. If you found anything in this post useful please subscribe, like, or share. I look forward to providing you with more useful posts in the future!