The mind has a way of tricking you into submission!
The brain is a wonderful piece of equipment while the mind is a glorious tool used by said equipment. To put it in basic terms you can call the brain the hardware of your computer while the mind is the software. As advanced life forms, we use more than our instincts to go about our daily activities. The mind manages our interpretations of the world by filtering our beliefs and habits. The mind can communicate to us in various ways. The most common way is through our emotions, dreams, sensations, imagination, and feelings. The consequence behind this function is that your perception becomes your reality. What you believe is ultimately what the world is to you, whether the collective consciousness of society agrees with you is irrelevant…or is it? Below are five tricks that your mind often plays on you, and what you can do about it!
- You’re the Villain – Sometimes in life it feels as if the world has come crashing down on you, almost as if the world is truly against you. Your car got towed, you got kicked out of your house, and your partner broke up with you. These things came out of nowhere to send you into a downward spiral. You’re in a panicked state you don’t know what to do and you don’t know where to turn. You look around and realize that you are alone and nothing you can do will change that fact. Finally, you look up to the sky and cry out to whoever is listening and ask, “why me?” We have all felt this way at some point or another. It is as if we are the villain in a superhero movie and the good guys have invaded our fortress only to shatter it to pieces. The harsh truth is that you aren’t the villain in any movie, and chances are no one is out to get you. Things happen in life that you will deem unfavorable. This isn’t the time to throw a pity party nor is it time to search for outside assistance. When the world comes crashing down and you truly feel alone that is when you at your most beautiful state of mind. No, I haven’t lost my mind and you didn’t read that incorrectly. Rock bottom is where epiphanies come from. This where you get to have a truly life altering moment. This is where you become that hero who overcomes adversity and become a stronger person for it. The first step to achieving this is to search within. You need to look inward and figure out what type of person you need to be to overcome this obstacle, then…become that person.
- You’re Not Good Enough – There are many who are controlled by their mind, some who control it, and few who work in harmony with it. Our thoughts often have a way of drifting out of control. Just when you think you have a handle on your crippling anxiety you get a strong kick to the gonads. You start worrying about what is going to come next and ultimately know it’s going to be a fail. It feels as if someone gave you a witch’s brew made of self-doubt and self-loathing and snuck it into your morning coffee. No matter what type of situation you’re in the consequence is the same. You doubt your abilities to accomplish a certain goal/task. You secretly believe that other people are simply better, luckier, or you’re lacking in some area. This is a common perception that forms when we see other people living successful lives on social media. Our friends, family, and even partner all seem to be doing something amazing with their lives. The truth of the matter is that you can accomplish virtually anything in this world if you are willing to put in the necessary pain for it. You can get that gorgeous partner if you take the first step and say hi. You can get that promotion if you put in the necessary time, energy, and work for it. Once again, a shift in perception is necessary. It will take time to gain that confidence, but so what? People say life is short. I completely disagree. Living your life is easily the longest thing you will ever have to do.
- I Will Just Be Like… – This one will probably have some people telling me to go screw myself, but so be it. These days, it is not uncommon for people to idolize a celebrity, or a successful person in business and follow their every word like the gospel. They will read, watch, and absorb everything that person has to say on how they made it to the big stage, and will use that as their template to success. Although there is nothing wrong with learning from the experts, things get out of hand when you start treating their every word like it came from the heavens and crashed right into your lap. The reason for this is due to how life works out for different people. There is no one size fit all solution for success. Yes, there are numerous agreed upon guidelines, but ultimately there isn’t a specific template that you can follow. This means it is important to read and learn about people you admire but you need to adjust based on your situation. Someone once told me that the path is forged already, I just need to follow their footsteps. This can be a destructive mentality to have. If you spend all your time copying the greats, does that really make you great? Besides life is ultimately a journey of finding your truth. How can you find your truth when you are busy acting like someone else? The solution is to take in as much useful information as possible and create something new from that. Create, create, create!
- One Day… – One day what? One day you will become the great one and everyone will bow to your every whim? One day you will have the woman/man of your dreams and they will love you like no one else has ever loved you? One day you will have that epic job that is easy, pays well, prestigious? What’s the problem with having dreams you may ask? Well there is nothing inherently wrong with having goals or dreams. That is a fundamental part of finding your own paradise. The problem arises when these goals and dreams are combined with inaction. Note I said inaction not inability. When one chooses not to work on their dreams/goals they are doing a disservice to themselves and those around them. By simply making grandiose claims to the world you are just filling up space and wasting another person’s time. The most common belief is that there isn’t enough time to accomplish one’s goals. Let’s calculate that for a moment. Say you work a 9-5 job and you sleep 8 hours with a 1-hour commute. You are still left with six hours a day to work on your goals, eat, and get dressed/shower. That is more than enough time to make progress on something that should matter to you more than life. If you believe you have this grand purpose in life then you should be willing to make the time necessary to accomplish it.
Ultimately, life can be defined as a journey of minds weaving in and out of each other’s worlds. It can be a beautiful thing when your software is working to optimum efficiency. It is up to you to be aware of the tricks that the mind can play on you and take steps to fix them.
“No matter how large or small we all make an impact on the world, our choices determine what kind of impact.” – Negus Lamont
Find out the six ways your friends interact with your posts!
Social Media can be a useful way to connect with your friends. Connecting with someone online is fun, effective, and above all convenient. While navigating the online bazaar of likes, shares, and comments it is a good idea to know what you’re getting into. Below I will discuss the five different types of Social Media commenters. Why is that important to creating your paradise? When you know the motives for someone’s comment you know how to receive it. It is not uncommon for arguments to start online based on misunderstandings. Additionally, being aware of your surroundings is a key component to establishing a path for yourself. When you know the type of people you will encounter online you can decide if it’s worth your time.
- Captain Save Em – This type of commenter likes to give positive reinforcement regardless of the situation. This is strictly done to attain the affection of a woman that he hopes will sleep with him. He will say things like what an amazing “queen” when a woman posts a half-naked picture of herself. The Captain Save Em constantly focuses on uplifting a woman no matter what her flaws may be. Additionally, he will come to the defense of any woman who he feels is being disrespected, no matter how small the slight may be. It is not uncommon for the man to become engaged in a heated argument with another man even if the woman took no offense. Because of his “attack dog” demeanor he is equally hated by other men and loved by most women. Out of all the commenters this one is the most controversial.
- The Instigator – This type of commenter is on social media for entertainment purposes. He/she will scroll down their timeline in search of any sort of drama. Once a target has been located The Instigator will add fuel to the fire. This is often done in the form adding a few choice words to further infuriate one side of the argument. Another favorite tactic of the Instigator is adding an ambiguous statement or picture. By doing this they serve to confuse both parties who are already in a frenzied state. This often leads to a bigger argument to clarify the original points of view. If you have ever used the Michael Jackson thriller picture where he is eating popcorn this one is for you.
- The Judge/Politician – This political servant in training can serve many different roles in a conversation. This type of commenter is often viewed as the mediator who will try to calm both sides down. They engage in the conversation so they can act as the moral judge, jury, and executioner. It is not uncommon for this type of commenter to say things such as “It’s not that serious guys” or “Let’s focus on the original point of the post”. At first glance, they may appear to be helping the situation but they often make things worse. There is a certain degree of self-righteousness that is involved when a random person chooses to be the judge of someone else’s argument. Who are they to determine how you should conduct yourself online? Additionally, the politician will enter an argument only to play the fence. He/she will acknowledge the valid points on both sides to establish a mutual ground between them. Once again, no one asked them to act as the mediator. Out of all the commenters this one is viewed as the most annoying.
- The Pickup Artist – This type of commenter can be spotted a mile away. Fortunately for him/her this doesn’t make them any less affective. The Pickup Artist has one objective. To attract, catch, and bed a mate. There is no confusing their intentions as they are transparent out of the gate. Like the Captain Save Em he will use compliments as his weapon of choice, but the difference lays in the execution. The Pick-Up artist uses a combination of humor mixed with sexual innuendo in the form of a compliment (often a backwards one). He will go back and forth with the woman in question before casually entering her private messages. He will ignore anyone and anything that does not fall in line with his objective. Because of this focus he/she is often successful (eventually). Yes, there are such things as a female pickup artist.
- The Keyboard Warrior – AKA the tough guy/girl. This type of commenter tends to start arguments just so they can use their favorite line “Let’s take this outside”. The Keyboard Warrior likes to appear physically tough and ready for a fight at the drop of a hat. Anytime they are losing an argument they will result to the threat of violence. What makes matter worse is that they are extremely convincing in their act, and can often scare away their target. Beneath it all, this person is a troll. They get off on the attention they receive from both genders. This is the villain of the commenter crew and just wants the “world” to burn.
- The Information Seeker – Out of all the types of commenters this is the only one who truly desires peace and harmony. He/she will comment encouraging words or add a simple informative comment on a post that piques their interest. These are the silent heroes of the Social Media world. All they want is to find informative, funny, or helpful posts. You can recognize this person by the type of content they bring to the table. This type of commenter will always add value to the discussion in some shape or form.
These are the six types of Social Media commenters that you will encounter when you post something online. They can range from harmless to soul draining. It is important that one keeps an eye out for the negative people that tend to pop up in life. If you feel I have missed any please drop a comment below. I’d love to hear feedback on this post!
“When you love yourself, the only like you need is the one given to the mirror.” – Negus Lamont
Are you married to your technology? It may be time for a separation!
The Digital Age
What a wonderful time to be alive! Please take a moment to take a deep breath and acknowledge this fact. We live in an age where with one single click of a button you can reach hundreds, thousands, even millions of people. This digital age that we live in allows many luxuries. These luxuries include ease of implementation, convenience, and as already mentioned reach. But what happens when the luxuries that we so often take advantage of turn us into walking zombies? What happens when the digital craze turns into a Digital Daze?
The Digital Craze
There have been several technological advances that have come within the last hundred years to propel society forward leaps and bounds. The three I would like to bring your attention to are the computer, the internet, and the cellular phone. The educational benefits from owning a computer are vast. With its ability to compute highly complicated tasks in a short period of time has saved lives. In a similar fashion, the Internet has propelled civilization by connecting people across the world. Without the internet many things that we currently take for granted would not be possible. Finally, we have the Cellular Phone which has catapulted itself into the hands of over 60% of the world population. These three pieces of technology have several things in common, but one truly stands out. They were all designed to expedite the flow of information. Combined these three have allowed us to have access to a near unlimited amount of information in mere seconds. So, what’s the problem?
The Digital Daze
The problem lays in just how much our brain can handle. Our brains are constantly flooded with information coming from all kinds of sources. Because of this it is easy for the brain to become bogged down with useless information. Symptoms of Digital Daze are anxiety, depression, poor decision making, insomnia, and memory loss. Which coincidentally are all things that can be caused by stress. In other words, spending too much time with your technology can lead to stress. This should not be news as many of us have experienced the dreaded Timeline Demon. The moment where you catch yourself watching the lives of your friends and family online only to have a feeling of inadequacy at your own accomplishments. That feeling of dread and pain knowing that you aren’t as happy as they appear to be. Maybe if you spent less time on social media and more time on your goals you wouldn’t feel that way? Another issue that rears its hideous head is communication. Studies have shown that millennials have worse social skills than their parents. Having a face full of screen on a consistent basis makes it difficult to exercise some of the higher cognitive functions that deal with leadership skills, empathy, conflict resolution, communication, and the ability to expression emotions.
The Digital Phase
The solution to the age of technology is not to turn yourself into a hermit who hides away in a shack. But there is some balancing that is called for. Once and a while it is a good idea to get away from “The World” and spend time on yourself. Something as simple as a weekly walk in the park can do wonders for your health. In addition to nature walks one can go into a deep meditative state where they ponder their life’s greatest mysteries. Meditation helps to relieve stress, increase happiness, and increases self-awareness. All of which are crucial to living a fruitful and balanced existence. Interacting with friends could bring a whole new (old) dynamic when you hang out without phones. It forces you to actually talk to each other and if you guys have nothing to talk about…it’s probably time to find new friends.